The decisions we make for our children at age 2 impact them at age 15, 25, even 55. Giving your child a bilingual education provides them skills for a lifetime that can help them become more informed, enlightened and empathetic global citizens.
We are one of the French/English bilingual school with native-speaking teachers paired with native English-speaking assistants. We are also the only school in Minnesota accredited by the French Ministry of Education (cycle 1), and pride ourselves on our low student-to-teacher ratio of ten to one, allowing teachers to tailor the curriculum to students’ individual abilities.
Our approach to academic growth and enrichment spurs our students’ creativity and facilitates a challenging yet fun learning experience. We also enthusiastically support and engage our students’ international families throughout the year with hands-on activities dedicated to our unique curriculum.
Benefits of FASM
- We provide a loving, nurturing and caring atmosphere in which children feel secure
- We meet each child’s physical activity needs while fostering respect for authority, independence and self-care
- We encourage curiosity in each child, teaching skills for a lifetime
- We offer a wide variety of activities within the curriculum and French educational style, including practical life, sensorial, language, math, art, music and movement, science and dramatic play
- We create ample opportunity for the use of large motor skills for indoor and outdoor activities
- We promote parent involvement and encourage open and honest communication
The classrooms become a space that children can call their own. The layout and choice of objects, tools, games, pictures and books are all important elements of a child’s environment and are carefully selected by the teacher to have well-defined purposes.
Accreditations and Partners
- Accredited by The French Ministry of Education (Cycle 1)
- Affiliated with the Mission Laïque Française (MLF)
- Affiliated with the Association of the French Schools in North America (AFSA)
- Affiliated with the Alliance Française Mpls/St Paul
- Affiliated with the French American Chamber of Commerce of Minneapolis-St. Paul
- Member of Minnesota Advocates for Immersion Network (MAIN)
- Subscriber member of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
We believe a good education not only relies on the quality of the curriculum and teachers, but also on the enrichment of a student’s social environment. The multicultural environment at The French American School of Minneapolis provides students and their families exposure to culture from all over the world, as well as the discovery of different habits and traditions. Families come from not only different states, but also from France, Switzerland, Morocco, Netherlands, Canada, Belgium, Italy, Spain, UK and others. This aspect unquestionably opens the students’ minds to the world and helps them understand the true meaning of diversity. Parents are also welcome to share their personal skills and passions both within the classrooms, as well as within the variety of activities shared across the school (e.g. fundraising and events committees for the annual gala, winter party, book fairs, uniform sales, picnics, etc.).
Communication with Parents
A secured Current Families section on our website gives up-to-date information about school life and can be used as reference for all the important documents you will need, such as school policies, student directory and so on. We also publish a weekly newsletter, posted in the parents’ mail folder at the school and through email. This newsletter contains all of the important weekly school information, events, as well as an overview of what has been studied in all of the classrooms.
Your children will experience French culture and holiday tradition. Parents are also included in the experience from updates in weekly folders children bring home. In addition, the special events organized throughout the year, such as Fête de l’Hiver, Galette des Rois, Carnaval and Semaine du Français invite families to become actively engaged in the French tradition.
There are regular events for parents and families to engage with one another either at the school or off-site. These gatherings are excellent opportunities for parents to meet other families and build a better sense of community within FASM.
Every first Friday of the month, FASM parents are invited to a social morning coffee and pastry. We recognize our community and appreciate our families for ways they contribute. It’s also the perfect opportunity for our families to learn from each other and discuss interesting current topics!